Maintaining a healthy routine and lifestyle is extremely in the modern world. The hectic schedules, low quality of food and the temptations that we overindulge in are bad for us every step of the way. This eventually invites various diseases, and health complications that we do not even imagine will happen to of us. However, there are certain lifestyle changes that you can inculcate in your busy life to prevent yourself from various types of cancers. Here is a list of few cancer prevention tips you can adopt:
Certain immunizations can help reduce the risk of cancer:
- Hepatitis B: You can lower the risk of liver cancer after being vaccinated by this vaccine. This also comprises certain high-risk groups, including people who have numerous sexual partners, drug users, people in homosexual relationships, people with STIs and also those who are exposed to bodily fluids on a day-to-day basis.
- Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (HPV): This vaccine can help prevent cervical cancer. The vaccine is recommended for children of age 11 and 12. Also, it is available for people of age 26 or younger.
Smoking has been linked to all kinds of cancers and the first thing a doctor will ask you if you are a smoker. Chewing tobacco has been linked to the cancer of the oral cavity as well as of the pancreas. It is also suggested that you should avoid being in the presence of a smoker because you are exposed to second-hand smoke which can lead to lung cancer. If you are a chain smoker, you should talk to your physician and get on a program that will help you quit smoking.
Have a healthy diet
Eating healthy is a way of life that very few follow. If you think you cannot make time to eat healthily, try to have one meal at least a day that will consist of food items which are good for your health.
- Eat your fruits and veggies: Aim for a meal that contains fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains. Generally, women should have at least 2 cups of fruits every day. A meal filled with fruits and vegetables lets you absorb all the minerals and vitamins that is needed to boost the immune system.
- Reduce intake of processed meats: According to some studies, it is concluded that processed meats contain carcinogens. Hence, you should limit your consumption of meats and meat products that contains flavourings or preservatives.
Use protection against the Sun
The Sun is a great source of Vitamin D when exposed to in moderation. To keep yourself safe from the UV rays, try the following things:
- Always wear sunglasses when you are out
- Stay in the shade as much as possible
- Apply sunscreen generously, especially after going swimming
- Avoid tanning beds and sunlamps
- Cover up the exposed areas while you wear bright colors that reflect UV rays
Do regular Cancer screenings
There are cancer screening tests available all over the country right now. It is beneficial to go through the screenings so that cancer can be prevented from spreading if detected at the early stage. Here are different types of cancers and their tests:
- Going through regular mammograms can help detect cancer as early as possible.
- Abnormal growths called precancerous polyps found in rectum or colon can be removed if they are found early in the stages.
- A screening called a Pap test can be carried out to detect cervical cancer.
- A person between 55 and 80 years of age who has been smoking for the last 25 years should be screened for lung cancer on an annual basis.
Cancer prevention is much more than just going to the doctor. Your future self should be secured in case Cancer hits you. It is always better to have a cancer cover so that you and your loved ones can fight cancer financially. A cancer policy also helps you to be worry-free and focus on recovering from the disease. You can check out cancer insurance online so you can be better prepared for any mishap.